Friday, February 19, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

Forty-four years ago today,

Robert Allen married Margaret Ann,



and that was the beginning of our family.


My mother, basically was born and raised in the same town, while my dad had moved often as a child. I remember hearing from him, I was born here, and I went to school, here and here and here and here...well you get the point.

The summer before my dad's senior year, they moved to Holyrood Kansas. There was a new principal in town (my grandpa), with two sons and a daughter. Mom and dad met when they were 17. Dad gave mom "a lot of attention. He was persistent."

Their first date was a movie in town. Mom wore her favorite outfit, a brown vest and skirt. "As I was getting out of the car, I looked down and noticed I had two different shoes on!"
She was embarrassed!


They started going "steady" before the Christmas of 1964. Going "steady" in mom's mind "was a very strong commitment, which naturally led to engagement."

At Christmas, their first Christmas of knowing each other, Dad gave mom some perfume by Avon called "Here's My Heart". Mom gave dad a bracelet that you can have your name engraved on, although she's not sure if she had his name on it or made him do it himself. :o)

Mom doesn't remember how dad proposed those many years ago, but she remembers going and picking out her engagement ring in the town 30 miles away. "It was neat and so sparkly, so exciting and a whole $100. I remember holding my hand in an obvious way so that it would be noticed."

On February 19, 1966, both of my parents were 18 years old. Mom was wearing the "most beautiful wedding dress I ever saw! With white heels and a beautiful veil."

As her daddy was leading her to the front of the church and up the three or four steps, my mom stepped on her dress. Instead of correcting it, right then and there, she continued to walk up the steps, on her dress. Which naturally made her hunch over more and more! I'm sure it was not funny at the time, but it is something that's been laughed at many times since.

As they say...
The rest is history!

All quotations were taken from Reflections from a Mother's Heart, by my mother.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

That's awesome! I love how our parents have set such a great example of true love, a healthy marriage and true commitment for us to follow.

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!
Ever thought of making a book for/about them? You have such great stories of their romance! You could make a book on snapfish and add all the text and everything! Think about it! [and send me a copy if you do!!]
Love ya!
missie ray G

Jae Davis said...

I love the picture of them you put on the blog page, Julie. They are both very special individuals, and they made a beautiful life and 3 beautiful daughters together!