Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Happy Birthday Tam!

Today is my younger sister's birthday.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAMMY!!!

What do I say about Tammy...hmmm...

Tammy and I are two years apart and closest in age out of us three girls. Because of that we did a lot together, shared rooms, played, fought, you know the usual sister things. I remember her always wanting to do as I did. She always followed me and my friends around to play with us. (Which I did not appreciate that at the time, but as a mother now, I think I would have handled things differently.) She wanted the same shoes as me, I remember getting matching hair cuts at the same time, but she may have been the first one to do that.

There came a time where we really did not get along, jr./sr. high years. To sum this up quickly without going into detail, but to get us to where we need to go, I'll just say that Tammy started "rebelling" around 13 and started coming out of it in her early 20's. During that time there was major clashing between the two of us. When I was a freshman in high school, that is when I started taking my Christian walk very seriously. There was a lot of growth for me at that time. Well, Tam was headed the other direction therefore that was the reason for a lot of the tension.

Through those years, especially after I was out of the house, I didn't do a whole lot of talking with Tammy. I believe I mainly saw her at family gatherings, and even then she wasn't around a whole lot. During that time, I had a lot of things I (actually God in me) had to work out. Lots and lots of forgiveness. You know how it is easier to forgive those who wrong you then those who wrong those you love. I do want to add, that I always loved her through that time, never gave up on her, never turned her away, there just had to be some distance between us. I believe I even made her, her very own "mixed" tape with many Christian songs to minister to her where she was at.

The good years...I don't remember exactly when Tammy started changing her life (early 20's), but that is when our relationship also started changing for the good. Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe when our grandmother's were killed in January 2001, was when we were woken up and saw the importance of family. Tammy even made us sisters make a pact that we would stay close and stick together after our parents are gone and not lose touch.

In 2006, from June to November, we once again lived in the same town. We were able to see each other on a much more regular basis. She watched our kids for us so we could go to a life group. She even watched them so we could come to Colorado for our interview! She wasn't feeling good, it stormed and the electricity went out, but she made it through!

It seems since we've moved to Colorado, we talk much more on the phone. That means we are much more involved in each others life, and there are many times when we vent to each other to get our anger out. An even greater thing is I have 3-way calling so all of us sisters can get on the phone and talk. We do Facebook together, which is always good on keeping up with people.

Tammy is...
a very likable person. A very typical "baby of the family". She can go in a group and make people laugh. She is really growing spiritually. She loves her nieces and nephews.
She is 32!

I believe as we each continue to grow in Christ, and we are not only biological sisters but also sisters in Christ, our relationship will continue to grow and we will become closer and closer. So here's to an even better year then this past one!!!

Sisters -- Theresa, Tammy, & I

"Skinny" faces

Tammy and I, in the same picture off of http://www.yearbookyourself.com/
Tammy was trying to see if she looked like mom at all, and then decided to try the guys and we found one that looked like our dad!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Oh man, that makes me want a sister so bad! I only have brothers, so I didn't have to share rooms with anyone until college! (And boy what a rude awakening that was!)

I have two sisters in law that I love dearly now and I call them my "sisters." I'm so thankful for them!

Reading about Tammy though-man, what a special bond sisters have.

Happy Birthday Tammy!!