Saturday, January 24, 2009

Living Art

We've been gone all day. I'm very worn out and I think the whole family is. The kids went to stay with a wonderful family who helps us out by watching our kids when we need it, and Jeff and I spent the day with the elders and wives of our church doing some "interviews". When we went to pick up the kids and I asked how things went, Shannon, the mom of the family got that look on her face that makes you go "Oh no...What did my kids do?"

"It is Kaylie...she colored our cat with spin art paint."

Their cat is white. They brought him out and he had all kind of blue on his face and down his neck. One of the girls said, "The cat was so scared he pooped."

I guess they laughed about it, but Kaylie knew she had done wrong so she ran to the bathroom and locked herself in. I guess Lee, the dad, had to take the handle off of the door and had to carry her out.

I feel so bad for that family...now I'm trying to think what might be a proper punishment for her. Do you have any ideas?

I think we'll let them have a long break before asking them again to watch our kids.

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

I am not sure what a splash marker is (not water-color and easily cleaned, I am thiking??), but I bet if you ask the babe what she thinks her punishment should be, she'll give you a long, complicated remedy (because she was so obviously repentant and wished she could change what she did afterwards). And then you can enforce a little bit of her plan before you then grace her, redeem her and show her the mercy God always gives all of us!

Shelly said...

I don't know Jeanie at all but I must say, I totally love her reply! I think asking Kaylie what she thought her punishment should be is an excellent idea! We do that sometimes with Tanner and I'm usually suprised by her answer. Soemtimes it's worse than I would have thought of myself and sometimes it's really light-either way though, I try to take her suggestions into consideration and incorporate it somehow.

What does Kaylie think about what she did? I mean obviously she got upset and she knew she did wrong, but what does she say to you and Jeff about it? Is she remorseful and does she truly understand that what she did was wrong? I think you have to take those things into consideration as well.

Bless her baby heart. And bless your heart! I'm sorry you both had a rough end to the day.

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Oh and by the way-I have to admit I giggled when I read this. :) Silly girl!

*HUGS!*

Anonymous said...

Just read this...I think we have plans now in April...

Candi & Bill