Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 6 - July 28, Part 2

Wednesday, July 28th, had been the kids' favorite day so far.
They loved seeing the moose.

They LOVED building their own fire.

Who would think that the day could get any better???


As I mentioned in the previous post, that I took lots of pictures of the wildflowers.
My goal is to have the kids look at the pictures and identify them,
and maybe even make their own Colorado flowers book.


On Tuesday, when we were driving and exploring roads near the cabin,
I saw a flower that I hadn't seen before
and I wanted to go and get a better picture of it.

To make that detour in our trip back to the cabin more interesting for the kids,
I lured them with the thought that they can "collect" more bullet shells.
The flower was next to the dirt area we parked the day before,
and that apparently is where people go to practice shoot.

Here is the "flower".

I have no clue what it is, because it is not identified in my Colorado Wildflower book.
So if you know or figure it out,
let me know!

The kids stashing up on their "new collection".


Jeff, wanting to encourage them in their new collection,
mentioned that we should go to the shooting range
and get more bullet shells that are newer and CLEANER.


Off to the shooting range we went.

This is what we came upon.

So we had a dilemna,
do we wait and see if they leave,
OR do we head on out.

These guys were pretty intimidating with all those firearms,
and they kept look back at us.
We were also in the middle of NO WHERE!
Can you imagine where my mind was going?
I told Jeff that we should let them know that we have boys and were just wanting to watch,
that way they weren't so nervous.

That's when they said that the boys could come out and shoot one of their guns.
These were a couple of guys, from the Denver area, who were soon to be father/son-in-laws.
They were very friendly, and shared abundantly with our family.

The younger guy, was very good on sharing gun safety with the boys,
before allowing them to hold the gun and shoot.
Jeff then got to shoot "the big boy",

and he tried out other guns.

Then they talked me into trying one too.

That was my first time EVER to shoot any type of gun,
other than water or maybe a BB gun.

So collecting bullet shells,
which they got hundreds of,
turned into an unforgettable experience.










No comments: