Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Lights

I want to forewarn you, before you read this, that I use "Xmas" a lot. I am NOT taking Christ out of Christmas. One thing I did learn, while in Christian college, was in the Greek many would abbreviate the word for Christ with an "X", because the word for Christ began with an X...so I have no problem using it because I know that I'm just being bilingual!

One thing I remember always doing, in my childhood, was going and looking at Xmas lights, and we've continued to do it in my adult years. I have heard that we needed to go to downtown Denver and look at their lights. Well we missed it last year, so I was bound and determined to make sure we saw them this year.

We all piled in the van and headed downtown on a week night so the traffic wouldn't be so bad and went in search of "the lights". I don't know if we totally missed what everyone was talking about, but I was pretty disappointed in what I saw. I can honestly say that I wasn't impressed...for the most part. The city / county building was the only exception! It was lit up very beautifully and we were pleasantly surprised to see that they still display the manger scene...right next to Santa and his reindeer...but still it is displayed!

The city/county building and the manger scene.
The boys' are always thrilled to get their picture taken! ;o)

Jeff is a huge Xmas light fanatic! (We actually had to buy a topper for our van because he bought so many Xmas lights after Xmas one year and that was the only way to get them home with all of our luggage!) Jeff could come into a close second with Clark Griswold off of Christmas Vacation. These past few years he hasn't had the chance or the time, for various reasons, to get out and fully decorate...even this year he got our house decorated but he did not have time to put out our manger scene that he created with Xmas lights. So here is a view of our home this year.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I too love all the Christmas lights. There's just something about them that is peaceful and calming to me. I love piling in the car and going to see them all.

If you ever have the opportunity, you need to go to The Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri and see how it's all lit up. It's the most beautiful thing on earth and in Kansas City, Christmas doesn't start until the Plaza lights are turned on on Thanksgiving night! Love them!

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Love you dear friend!