A quick update on what's going on with me.
On Sunday....actually very early Monday morning, I ended up having to take Kaylie, my three year old, to the ER. She woke up around 12:30 am, struggling to breathe. She was stridor-ing (if that's a word). Basically that is the noise they make when they are struggling to breathe. The only time I've ever heard it is when my kids have had croup. At first I was going to try to take care of it myself with the steam in the bathroom and then the cold night air/ or freezer air. None of those seemed to make a quick enough change for me.
The struggle for me then was, do I drive her or do we call an ambulance. Of course I have a pediatricians advice in my head, "Call 911, I've known kids who have died in the backseat because their throat swells on the way to the ER and there is nothing the parents can do about it." and the knowledge that Tanner (see previous blog about him being scared of dying) was awake in our room because he wasn't feeling well. I knew that if we called an ambulance or even told him that we were going to take Kaylie to the hospital, he would be sure that she was dying. Well Jeff's opinion was to deal with it at home. So I decided that there is an urgent care only a couple of blocks from our house, so I was just going to drive her.
I drive by and the urgent care is closed, so I ended up having to drive to the hospital which is 5-10 minutes away. Of course no one was on the road so I was going a little faster then the law allows, asking Kaylie if she was OK.
We walked in, the nurse asked what was going on, I told her and she heard the struggle for breath and she got us right in. I would say that from the time we walked in to the time the dr was diagnosing and getting her treated was less then 10 minutes. Very impressive for what ER's are typically like! She was diagnosed with acute severe croup with respiratory distress. We ended up having to stay there until 4:30 am, just to make sure the steroid was going to work.
This virus hit very fast. When Kaylie went to bed at 8:30, the only sign that she might be getting something was she had a runny nose. All of us now have this virus, but it isn't as severe the older the person is.
It seems like Satan is attacking big time, because there are issues at church that we are having to deal with now also. But not going to get into that here, because it is way too late.
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
2 comments:
Oh My! We also had this virus... Josh, who is almost 9 woke up SO SCARED because he couldn't breathe well. Did the shower/cold air thing. Two nights later Caleb (4) got it and I had to the shower/cold air for him also... but for him, I had to do it two or three nights. Ugh! Then I got it and had to sit in the bathroom with the shower running too! Hannah and Ty never got it! I will definitely be praying for YOU and your kiddos AND whatever is going on with church. :) (I'm loving this blog thing!)
Ha ha ha! I didn't realize that my comment wouldn't say who I was. :) That was me!
Blessings~
Missie
Post a Comment