Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Snake


The next exciting thing that happened to us was "the snake". On Tuesday, the 23rd, I was sitting in the living room doing who knows what and Theresa was upstairs in her room with the window open so we could hear the kids in the cul-de-sac. I heard some yelling and Theresa came flying down the stairs saying that Preston said he found a snake.



So we both went out front and lo and behold there was a baby snake slithering slowly in our driveway, heading straight into the garage. Of course, us moms being the "calm" in the storm, we started barking orders..."Go get a broom!"..."Get back! Get back!! It could be poisonous!"..."Get me a stick."..."Get back!!"..."Get me that container!"..."Stay back, kids!!!! It could be poisonous!" As you probably could tell in the dialogue above that Theresa and I came up with a plan. Get a BIG container, get the snake in it with either the broom or stick, and of course, keep the kids out of danger. (FYI, I was not "allowed" to use the broom because we might "hurt" the snake!)



To me, it looked like it could have the markings of a rattle snake. With it being a baby, it wouldn't have it's rattles, but when he posed to strike one time, he wiggled his tail. This became quite the event in our cul-de-sac. Preston ran and got some of our neighbor's, who happen to have a pet snake. We also had another neighbor come over so her daughter could see the snake.

(Please note Theresa bringing some leaves for the snakes "comfort and security". Can you tell who the animal lover is? I personally was fine dumping it with the prairie dogs, and if they killed it, oh well, it's the "circle of life"!)



After the excitement of capturing the snake, we brought the snake inside (that way we could make sure the kids didn't mess with it) and Theresa started searching on the Internet for what kind of snake it might be. We think that it was a baby "rat snake", which is not poisonous. Later that evening, during a beautiful sunset, Theresa and I took the snake to a pond close to the house and released it into some weeds.



This is not the first time Theresa and I have faced "danger" with just the two of us. We caught our first black widow together also! I wonder what the next "dangerous" adventure we might face together will be!?!



1 comment:

Shelly said...

Girl, you totally made me laugh!

God didn't give me boys for a reason-He knew that I didn't like and couldn't handle bugs, snakes, etc! Praise God!

That being said, I think you and Teresa did a great job of staying calm and coming up with a plan. And how nice of you to take it in the house for awhile-and giving him a few leaves-that's too kind!

Glad you set him free and he's not in the boys room as a pet!