Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Happy 14th Anniversary!


Fourteen years ago today, Jeff and I were married. Man that makes me feel old! We met at Manhattan Christian College. I was a freshman coming in and he was an RA in the dorm. My best friend Heather and I came up to school together and moved in on August 17, 1993. That was the first day we met. To keep things short, we spent a lot of time together walking and talking. We 'officially' started dating in October, after Christmas break we knew that God had chosen us for each other. In February we were engaged, Jeff then had a summer on camp team where we didn't really get to see each other the whole summer, we talked on the phone. Then on August 20, 1994 we were married right before the fall semester of school began. That is the very short story of how things began.

We have since been through so much together.
  • 1994 - married and the beginning of life together, as poor college students. The week after we were married we went to White City for a "try-out" weekend. We were hired for a weekend ministry @ $125 a Sunday.
  • 1995 - still adjusting to life as a married couple. Jeff likes to say that our first year of marriage was the roughest, because there were lots of adjustments to be made.
  • 1996 - we both graduated from MCC, Jeff with a bachelors in Bible/Pastoral Ministry w/ a minor in Youth Ministry and me with an Associates Degree in Bible/ Educational Ministry. Jeff became bi-vocational so we could continue to minister in White City.
  • 1997 - more ministry in White City. Jeff even drove bus and I used some of my time to volunteer at the library at the grade school.
  • 1998 - We were pregnant! In June, Jeff's dad, Leon, was killed in a car accident. On October 29th, Preston Layne was born.
  • 1999 - Adjusting to parenthood and "preparing" for Y2K ;o)
  • 2000 - survived Y2K :D became pregnant with #2 and I remember being HUGE
  • 2001 - On January 11, Tanner Riley was born. January 12, both of my grandmothers on their way home from coming to see us, was hit and killed on I-70 by a semi. Day 6 of Tanner's life we went to a double funeral. In July, we said goodbye to our 7 year ministry in White City and moved to Hugoton KS. We bought our first home. On September 11, the trade towers were hit.
  • 2002 - I was pregnant with #3 and on September 19, Landon Cade was born.
  • 2003 - My sister and family moved to Hugoton also. First time to have family near-by. Found out I was pregnant with #4 and surprised my family at Christmas.
  • 2004 - On July 29, Kaylie Joy was born. Started homeschooling Preston right after Labor Day. The end of September my world was turned upside down because of my Thyroid. This was a HUGE turning point in Jeff and I's marriage.
  • 2005 - Still dealing with the aftermath of my "thyroid". On November 13, Jeff resigned from Hugoton.
  • 2006 - My sis and family moved to Oklahoma (one of the hardest days of my life). Jeff began doing carpentry again. In April we sold our home, in May we moved to Wichita. We then got a chance to live by my younger sister for 6 mos. Lots and lots of growing and healing. In November Jeff was called to New Hope and we moved to Thornton CO.
  • 2007 - We've had the time of our lives! We've seen miracle after miracle at New Hope.
  • 2008 - In May we bought our own home and we are settling in and getting ready for year 15!

We've had our ups and downs but we've gotten stronger and closer. Jeff has the biggest heart and love for me and kids and for those around him. He's a great dad and is very hands-on. I couldn't ask for a better husband. Although I do wonder sometimes what God was thinking because we are so opposite ;o) but I love him anyway! So,

Happy 14th Anniversary to the love of my life!



6 comments:

Shelly said...

What an awesome recap! My heart just breaks for you guys though, knowing about Jeff's dad and your grandmothers. Oh my word-I can't even imagine!!!!

I'm so glad ya'll are still together after 14 years! Hope you have many, many more happy years to come!

Anonymous said...

I *LOVE* that remember you guys during all of that! :) We love you guys and miss you tons!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!
~Missie

Jae Davis said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope you plan on printing off a copy of that and saving it for yourselves and your children to look back on. Beautiful. God has worked many miracles through your marriage! Just think about that!? Wow! May God bless you with many more years of growing in Him!

Jae (and Travis and kids)

Anonymous said...

It is all about the faithfulness of God, isn't it? Sometimes in the middle of things, you can't see, but days like these cause us to recall and celebrate His plan for us!

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I love you too honey! More than you could every know! - Jeff

Unknown said...

How neat to see a review of your lives together. May God continue to bless you both and your marriage.