Today is my dad's birthday. I didn't get a card sent. I am really bad about not getting anything in the mail, my "birthday" or really "any special occasion" greeting is a phone call.
My dad:
Growing up, and especially during my teen years (and even now on occasion), I remember "clashing" with dad. My mom always said it was because we were too much alike. I can see it now.
He was the only male in the house with four girls, aaannnndddd ONE bathroom! He always said he had to get up at 5 in the morning just to get IN the bathroom.
My dad showed his love by doing and giving. He's always enjoyed working with wood. He has created many things for all of us girls, as children and adults, from beds, to desks, to shelves, to decorative things, and I've even had him make a toy box for Kaylie. On Valentine's Day, he always has a little something special to give to each one of us girls and he has even carried it on to his granddaughters. (The boys get something from Grandma.) He's not really big on words, his cards are always simply signed, "Love, Dad" or "Love, Grandpa". My sister says he's ruined Valentine's for us, because now we have expectations and our hubbies don't meet them. ;o)
He has always been a protector. He was on the police department for 23+ years, so that may have something to do with it, but he always had our safety in mind. As a child, I thought he was way too strict, but as an adult I thank God that my parents did protect us and that they gave us boundaries. Any time we would drive through the "shady" part of town my mom would always ask if he had his G-U-N. Us girls would then remind mom that we did know how to spell and she could just say the word. He has never liked us girls traveling without a man.
A vivid memory in my mind was a day when he "fought" for us girls. No, he didn't physically fight but he defended us to an 'authority' because of the unfairness that was going on. Every girl wants someone who will "fight" for them.
Now my dad wasn't the "spiritual" leader in our house, but as I look back and think of him, I can see in him, how our Father in heaven is with us. My dad was and is there, he's always been a constant. He is committed to his family, he provides, he loves, he protects, he was our refuge and shelter from the world. He would fight for us and I have no doubt that he would have and would still lay down his life for any one of us girls. I had a healthy fear of him.
I wouldn't be the same strong (some say stubborn) woman I am today if God hadn't ordained for my dad to be my dad, and for my mom to be my mom. I wouldn't change it if I could, even in their "grumpy" times! ;oD
Dad, I love you and Happy Birthday!
2 comments:
What a blessed testimony of not only honoring your dad, but actually LOVING him. I miss seeing my dad on a more regular basis, anyway, but reading this tribute to your dad REALLY makes me miss my dad.
Wow! I love you too Bob!
Post a Comment