Jeff, the kids and I headed up to Laramie on Thursday. We spent some time swimming, doing puzzles, swimming, site seeing, and more swimming. I went to the conference by myself while Jeff and the kids hung out at the hotel pool. Because I was by myself it was really easy to get a good seat. Friday night, I was in the third row and just to the right of center stage. Sat. morning I was in the second row and just a few chairs further right then I was on Friday. I did run into some of my Friday morning Bible study ladies! It's always great to see a "friendly" face in a "strange" environment.
1 Cor. 9:24-27
24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
Here are some things that I want to remember:
1. He trains us to think bigger.
2. He trains us to praise louder.
- Our praise silences the avenger and enemy. - Ps 8:2, "From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger."
3. He trains us to live livelier.
- You can have the "ride of your life" if you'd quit driving. You can't ride if you drive. Let Him drive you with His Spirit.
4. He trains us to prove mightier.
- We need to have faith in what God can do through us.
- Your passion will come from your pain.
- If God wouldn't have let us taste being "caught in a snare" how would we know what it's like to be free. We wouldn't be passionate about freedom if we weren't captive.
- Fire and water (Ps 66:12) these are very extreme experiences. Fire can be when we are burnt by situations or others. Water can be when we feel like we're drowning in life. Yet both, fire and water, are used by God for cleansing to purify us.
- Our consequences [from sinful living] will get hotter and hotter until we hate it and we don't want to ever return to it.
5. He trains us to emerge pure.
- Ps 66:18 "If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened;" Sin is profoundly hindering our prayer life. If you have an active prayer life you're seeing many "yes" answers
- Do we have "cherished sin"? Something that our back may be turned against but our heart isn't. Something that there is emotional sympathies to, we still fantasize about, etc.
- Godly sorrow leads to repentance. We can't have true repentance unless we have sorrow.
6. He trains us to follow-through better.
- Is there a vow [we made to God] we need to recommit to?
- Like Jonah in Jon. 2:5ff "what I vowed I will make good."
7. He trains us to pass the word (Word) plainer (or plainly).
- As in Titus 2:4, the older women are called to mentor the younger women.
- I took a pledge to be there for the younger generation.
- Ask Him to give us a heart to love Him more then anything, and or an appetite for His Word.
- You cannot fulfill your destiny if you're not in the Word.
8. He trains us to trust Him deeper.
- It's OK to let God know you're mad and to ask "why?". He's our refuge.
"....Michelle is not only among the best executive assistants you could ever imagine. She is also hysterical. I have already gotten a huge kick out of her.
And perhaps, on occasion, she me. But not in the best way, since I seem to have no end to a knack for blunders. Hence, one final random story. Yesterday she and I were flying home from Denver where Rich (driver, photographer, and all-around LPL extraordinaire) and Ron (security - please hear that in proper Bon Qui Qui) had driven us after the Laramie event ended. The plane was packed and we were in seats 8D and 8E, aisle and middle. The dude behind us put his pillow in between our two seats the last hour where we could hardly see each other. It was so annoying. Then, when we began to make our final descent into the Houston area, we were told to bring our seat backs and tray tables into their upright and locked positions which I promptly began to obey since I'm a rule keeper. But my seat wouldn't pop up because the pillow was stuck between our two chairs. So, instead of moving the pillow and risking the offense of a fellow passenger, I decided to do what I've seen flight attendants do a trillion times. I'd just push the button with my right hand while reaching behind the seat and pulling it forward with my left. So, I reached behind me and got a good, firm grip and jerked forward. Then something twitched.
And I realized that I had not grabbed the seat. I'd grabbed the dude's knee. Right on the back fold of his knee, as a matter of fact, where I got a firm grip on his upper shin and pulled briskly forward. And with the force of a woman half my age. Is it my fault that the seats are so close together that his knee was practically impaled in my chair-back? Huh? Huh? Is it my fault that his pants felt like the same polyester as the airplane seat?? Huh? Huh? Is it my fault that the maneuver was even necessary since he'd stuck his pillow between our seats? Huh? Huh?
I was mortified. I was so undone that all I could do was slap Michelle on the knee like thirty times. Then, I was laughing so hard I couldn't get out of my mouth what I had done. She got tickled before she even knew what had happened. Suffice it to say, I told Michelle that she'd have to get my brief case out of the overhead compartment (but to be careful when unloading it as bags may have a tendency to shift during flight) after we reached the gate because I was bolting off that plane without looking back. And that's exactly what I did.
As Melissa sometimes says, "Mom, it's hard to be you." Heck yes, it is. "
For the entire blog entry go here. She talks about Laramie some in the beginning of this post.
2 comments:
I'm so jealous that you got to see Beth Moore! I think it's awesome too that you went by yourself! I don't know that I could/would do that!
Thank you for sharing your notes!
I'm glad your back-I've missed ya!
I just love you Julie!
Post a Comment