Monday, May 11, 2009

Landon's Swim Lessons

Spring is here! Our family has been on the go with gymnastics, swim lessons, baseball, along with all our other weekly activities, church, life group (that meets in our house), meetings, school, and trying to do a garden. (Which I've done pretty bad at. Yep, think I've killed almost all of what we started in the house. :s) Then on top of that I've gotten a couple of different spring colds. There has been so much that I want to share about, for the memories of my family, but I'm a little overwhelmed by it all because I'm so far behind.


I guess I'll start with Landon's swim lessons....


Landon was taking 5 weeks of lessons going on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The first day of lessons he absolutely refused to even touch the water. The second day, Jeff got him to get in at the very end of the lesson. The third day, he got in and participated. If Landon wouldn't have participated we no longer would have taken him and he would have lost swimming when the whole family would go. (After the frustration/anger of the first lesson, I wasn't going to take him anymore, unless I knew he would get in. Jeff said he would try.)


By the end of the lessons he was doing very well. He was actually swimming short distances and very brave in the water. His teacher was Mr. Jordan and I was very impressed with the guy. I would guess that he was in his upper teens or maybe his early 20's but he handled his class of 5 very lively boys, very well. Landon "passed" and is now ready for level 2.


Here are some clips and pictures of him.The first lesson. He sat out the whole time.

The fourth lesson, 2nd week. They are practicing their kicks.



This is the 2nd week, the fourth lesson, where Mr. Jordan is working on the basic skills of kicking with Landon. April 9, 2009




This is Landon's last day of swim lessons, and he is swimming by himself. April 30, 2009




On the last day of swim lessons it is a "fun day".

They played sharks and minnows with the level 2 class...

...got to go down the slide...





...play in the lazy river...
...play on the crab......and get a special treat from his teacher!

Landon's "report card".

2 comments:

Jae Davis said...

Julie, I miss swim lessons. I was 15 when I taught my first swim lesson class. 9 boys and (thank GOD) a MALE co-teacher. Unfortunately, it was his first experience as a swim lesson teacher, too. I have to say, dealing with all the testosterone was intense and very funny. The way I got my little guys swimming was by challenging them to compete. Imagine that. ;) Go Landon!

Jeff said...

Landon - I am so proud of you. It was so tough for you to start these lessons, but like I told you if you get to know the other kids & do your best you can do it. And you did it! Remember this lesson in life - you can you anything that you want to in life, if you just put your mind to it, ask for God's help, & do your best! I'm excited about the great things God already has planned for your life! I love you bud! - Dad