Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Garden

This morning the kids and I went on our walk. A couple of weeks ago I decided that I wanted to walk at least 30 minutes a day. I knew if I didn't get someone to hold me accountable that it would be too easy to skip for whatever reason. I knew who I should ask but I got to thinking, "Do I really want to ask them? If I do, that means I won't be able to skip when I feel like skipping." I decided that I was serious enough so I finally asked my kids to be my "walking" partners. Actually, I walk, they ride their bikes, or scooters, or in-line skates. There's no one like my kids who can make me feel guilty about not doing something I said I would do.



After we got home, I finally got my tiny garden done. This past weekend, Jeff did some rototilling for me. Then it rained and rained some more, so when I went out there the dirt was all clumped together. Those in Colorado have to know that the soil is very much clay like. I was amazed how "clay-ey" it was. I dumped a huge bag of potting soil on top and mixed it a little, I just hope something can grow in it.



I transplanted some tomato and cherry tomato plants that I bought this past weekend, and some red bell pepper plants that we started from seeds a couple of months ago. I also planted some lettuce, carrots, watermelon, cucumbers and red onions. The ones I started in March or April, are still in the pots and I'm going to keep them there. Now I just have lots of little red bell pepper plants and a few tomato plants in starter pots that I need figure out what to do with. I hate to throw them away and they are suppose to be 3 ft. apart so where do put them? I don't have room in my garden spot. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do? (Jeanie???) It has to be economical, or a better word may be cheap!



I'm waiting for my mom to get here in a few weeks so she can show me what else I need to do. How to get prepared for my cucumber and watermelon vines, etcetera, etcetera. My hope is that we can harvest at least one thing of each kind we planted...for the kids' sake.



4 comments:

Shelly said...

How fun!! I want a garden so bad I can hardly stand it! Maybe I'll just plant some pots this year and see how I do with those??? :)

Tammy Jones said...

Good job for not giving up on your garden!!! I am also proud of you walking. The dogs and I go for a walk everyday. They are kind of like your kids, they are the ones who make me feel guilty for not walking... believe me, they know when they should be getting to go for that walk!

Jae Davis said...

I am so impressed with your vegetable garden!

Jeanie said...

Hey-I am behind on reading...hope the little seedlings are still ok!

Best advice: grow the tomatoes like the squarefootgardeing.com site says. You can actually grow one plant per square foot IF you're courageous enough to remove suckers and train it to a more "single vine" type growth. You still get TONS of tomatoes.

Also-your pots are nice and big-you can grown so much stuff in them!

I just this morning planted tomatoes in bales of straw. I will be posting pictures soon. So exciting! The "heat" in the middle of the bales from the decomposing, which makes them act just like a pile of rich, mid-western compost, will make those tomatoes soooooo happy!

Yes-Colorado soil almost killed me! I am an Iowa girl, you know - where the soil is fine!