Thursday, June 4, 2009

Go To Jail, Go Directly To Jail...

May 22, 2009


I forgot to blog about this. While we were in Wyoming we decided to go see the Wyoming Territorial Prison Historic Site. It was very economical for a family of 6 and I thought that it might be something the kids would actually be interested in, since it had to do with prison and bad guys. The prison was built in 1872 and it is known because it held Butch Cassidy. It was very interesting to read why some of the prisoners were in there and to see how things worked.


The Beginning

A view from the side. You can see one of the watchtowers.
.
The original wing. Three levels. Far all is where the guards could keep an eye on things.

The cells were very small. I'm thinking these were 5'x6'x7' and they held two men.

A view from the guards area.

Butch Cassidy

Butch Cassidy is at the far right, and Sundance Kid is the far left.

The second wing added years later.

These cells were 5'x5'x7'. They had to have hammocks because bunk frames wouldn't fit. Two men shared these cells.

Jeff explaining "solitary confinement".

The Broom Factory.
This was were "trusted" prisoners worked. They made brooms, candles, and furniture. Some of the equipment in these pictures were the originals.





This wasn't part of the "prison", but they learned how the printing press worked.



To see larger picture, click on thumbnails.

1 comment:

Jae Davis said...

Thanks for sharing, Julie. I enjoyed learning from the info. and pictures you posted. I'm turning into a history buff like my dad. What an awesome opportunity and history lesson! Side note: Maybe today's prisons should be more primitive like the good ol' days...tiny cells, work and no cable...then mabye criminals would think twice.