Saturday, June 27, 2009

Update

I realize it's been a couple of days since I've updated so that's why I decided to do it real quick before I start my day.

Overall, dad is doing well. He is a little behind where he should be but considering what he's gone through post-surgery, low blood pressure and fluid on the lungs, he's doing well. He's been up walking a few times a day and yesterday he sat in a chair all day rather in his bed. He's got most of all his "wires" pulled, all that's left is a PICC line, which is an IV that go directly to the heart and one drainage tube out of his belly, which he should get removed today.

I feel like I don't know everything and there have been things I've missed because I haven't been up at the hospital much these past few days. My sisters have wanted to be up there and Jeff has had to work so I've been home with the kids. I made sure to ask the nurse last night about the fluid on his lungs and that morning when they took the xray at 4:45 AM that it was still there and hadn't changed. I think that's the main reason he's still in the SICU, because it does effect his oxygen level.

I also found out yesterday was he's "A-fibbed", which is atrial fibrillation, a few times. I don't know if it's the same in every person but with dad, that is when the top part of the heart is "fluttering" or beating really fast (ie 160's, 170's is what dad's was doing) and the bottom of the heart is beating slower or more normal. Dad couldn't feel anything, and they said you can't tell by checking your pulse, because the part that pumps the blood out is normal. I guess they say it's fairly common after heart surgery.

As far as I can tell, the plans are to keep dad in the SICU over the weekend and mom and I have to go in Monday morning to be "trained" on helping dad get up and things like that. I think that's all I know about dad. We did get the rented hospital bed yesterday and so today I'm going to go shop to find curtains to make it more private in our "school room" and to buy pillows.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I'm so glad that Momma and Daddy will be at your house for you to take care of while Daddy's recouping! We will continue to pray for strength and healing for Daddy and the rest of your family!

Hugs and love coming your way!