Sunday, June 7, 2009

We're Not in Kansas Anymore?

Today was a rarity for the Denver area. There were 5 tornado's in the area. From what I read, only two did damage, but nothing too severe.


I was have a children's ministry lunch/meeting at Arby's. My cell phone started doing it's ring, I saw that it was Jeff so I silenced it. (He knew I was in a meeting, and I had just talked to him 5-10 minutes earlier.) He then called again, so I answered. He informed me that they, the kids, some friends, and himself, were watching a tornado. I guess they had watched it from the beginning to the end. Preston was really excited and Landon and Kaylie thought it was pretty cool, and Tanner was pretty scared and was crying pretty hard. Kaylie kept trying to calm him down and told him that "It's OK. and even if it does come close to us, God is protecting us."

I decided to go peek out the window and I saw nothing. Then a little later we saw all the employees at Arby's and we saw the McDonald's employees go outside to look at something. I went and looked out the window and I saw the tornado, or at least a funnel. When I showed Jeff what I saw, he said that was towards the end of the tornado "show".

The ladies I was with were getting a little worried, especially when there was some pea size hail. I was very calm and let them know that it couldn't do too much damage. "If we start seeing debris, then we'll head to the bathroom." I was going off of what my brother-in-law has said about the area, that tornado's can't get big, because of the mountains.

On my way home I saw clouds that I haven't seen since we lived in Kansas. I always call them marshmallow clouds. I had to rush home to get my camera to take a picture.
These are some pictures of what we saw. (We didn't take the tornado ones.)

"Marshmallow Clouds"

The drawing is by Preston. Jeff said, "He did a really good job, that is what they pretty much looked like."

4 comments:

Tirz said...

Yes, good job Preston! He did do a very good job drawing them. So if you see marshmallow type clouds then that means tornadoes? I wondered about that.

JulieAnn said...

Tirzah,

"Marshmallow clouds" don't necessarily mean tornado's, they're just a rarity to see.

Jae Davis said...

Marshmallow clouds indicate hail, I think. My mom told me that when I was little and every time I've ever seen them they have produced hail.

I LOVE these pictures. God is so awesome. I'm glad y'all are okay and not much damage happened.

Jeff said...

Preston - You are a WONDERFUL artist! It looks exactly like what we saw! Love ya! - Dad