I know it is disgusting. But this is a childhood memory for me. Let me clarify that....it was something Kaylie did that brought back a memory of something I did as a child.
Here is what happened this morning... I was, once again, sweeping up all the crumbs off of the floor.... Which seems to be a never ending task, and it amazes me how fast these crumbs seem to appear and I swear they multiply on their own. OK, back to the story.... As I was sweeping, I was tilting all the
chairs to get any extra crumbs so they could be swept up too. When I get to Kaylie's seat I tilted the chair, and out falls this old crumbly tortilla. See the picture above.
The history behind the tortilla... A few days ago Kaylie wanted a tortilla to eat with her meal. The next thing I know is that she had folded and crumbled up the tortilla so I informed her that she had to eat it all before she got dessert. She ended up getting dessert because her tortilla was gone. Well as you may have figured out by now, she HID the thing in the space between her booster seat and the chair! I happened to be on the phone with my younger sister Tammy when this was discovered and we got a good laugh out of it.
Like mother, like daughter - my childhood memory... When I was a child I HATED steak. In my memory it was always tough and dry and it always made me gag and I hardly could swallow it. (Thank God for my future bro-n-law who came when I was in high school and introduced my family to A-1! I can now say that I love steak but I HAVE to have my A-1!) My solution...we had a dog but for some reason I couldn't always feed my bites to him. Maybe it would have been to obvious to my parents or he was outside, I don't know. At our kitchen table, us girls sat on a bench that my dad had made. This bench was built into a half wall so there was a back to it and it had slats which meant there were small open spaces between these slats.
As a child I was pretty smart, some would even say sly or sneaky. It was quite obvious that I couldn't just take my bite of steak straight from my plate to it's "hiding" place. So I would have to attempt to eat the thing. I would always put it in my mouth and chew and chew. Once all the moisture was out of the bite and I could feel my gag reflex getting ready to kick in, I would slyly take the bite out of my mouth and slide it into it's "hiding" place, which was the spaces between the slats in the bench and then I would carefully push the bite behind the wood so you couldn't see it. My parents never knew!...not until....several years down the line, after I was in upper high school or maybe even out of the house, my mom was somehow trying to clean the bench. She shared that she wondered how in the world dog food had gotten in the bench like that.
I'm not sure how she figured out it was my chewed up steak or how long it took her to realize it, but she did! My secret was out!
This memory does get resurrected every now and then with the family. It definitely was resurrected this morning and I now know to check the space between my daughter's booster seat and the chair!
2 comments:
Here's my memory of the "find"!
It was just before we were getting ready to move from Wichita, the kitchen was empty and I was trying to clean behind the slats of the bench. And there were chunks of "something"! At first, I thought dog food, but upon closer examination I realized it was petrified meat!!! And immediately I knew what had happened!!
Julie, the sly, sneaky one hiding her handiwork sooooooooo many years before!!
If my housekeeping had been half as good as Uncle Jerry and Aunt Linda's, I'm sure I would have come upon the "treasure" long before then.
Sure do love our Julie!!!!!!
MOM
Hahahahha! Tara used to fling her peas - somehow thinking we'd just assume a few rolled off the plate. Ah, kids.
Post a Comment