BIG 1-0!!! It is amazing how time flies.
I can easily remember going into labor at 12:45 a.m. after 45 minutes of sleep. I was in labor close to 18 hours. I had almost 2 hours of pushing to get this first-born son into the world. He was my smallest baby at 7lb 4.5oz. He came out looking just like Jeff. He also sucked on his bottom lip. He would suck on it so hard that if you pulled on it and broke the suction it would make a popping noise.
Ever since Preston was a baby, he has been very active. I remember the dr. noticing and making a comment that he was in constant motion, even in the car seat he was always kicking his legs. Because Preston was an only child for his first two years I was able to really keep an eye on him and redirect his energy (unlike Kaylie who has come the closest to his personality and energy level.)
Preston was an early talker. At his 18 mos. check-up the dr. asked if he was saying 8 - 10 words, and I told her that off of the top of my head he was saying over 40. When Tanner was born he was talking very clearly to the camera, which I now know the rarity of that, especially in a boy.
I have talked about this before, but for Preston's sake I want to share it again. I can see in Preston leadership qualities emerging as he is getting older. He can round up his brothers and sister, and all his friends who are younger to work together or to play together. He is very good at bringing others into the conversation or into whatever they are playing. He also does amazingly well at carrying on a conversations with adults....so well, that I have to put a limit on how many questions can be asked when we are at dinner with others.
Preston is also very creative and resourceful. He has created many things from his own "tools", to a tree swing, to many types of things to play with. He does a lot of this with ropes, rubber bands, wire twisties, to anything he can find around the house. He is a collector of many things like boxes, all shapes and sizes, to baggies, to sticks, to ANYTHING he might use to create something.
Another thing I see in Preston, which I'm not sure is a positive quality more then a negative one, but it is something that is fairly common in firstborns. He is a perfectionist. If he doesn't get something right, he automatically starts putting himself down. He doesn't handle pressure well. If he is timed on anything he freezes up and then he never wants to do what ever he was doing again, for example a math game on the computer. I want my Preston to know that he does not have to be perfect. It is OK to mess up. It is OK not to always have the right answer. We just need to do the best that we can, and let God do the rest. I want Preston to know that in his weakness is where God is the strongest.
I LOVE MY Preston!!! There have been way too many times where I haven't handled things right with him. I have put unneeded pressure on him. I have expected perfection when I shouldn't. I just PRAY that God pours so much grace on him that it washes out all the mistakes that I've made, and that only good comes from it and that there be no open wounds that he will carry on in life because of my faulty, sinful, humanness as his mother.
I pray God's blessings be poured upon Preston this 11th year of his life and for the rest of his life. That he grows up to be a bold, courageous, humble, loving man of God...that he may be known as a man after God's own heart!
At the fountains, trying to get someone wet!
At the "dirt hills" doing some jumps.
Preston's creation so he wouldn't see the drop down the side of the mountain.
Tying up his tree swing.
I can easily remember going into labor at 12:45 a.m. after 45 minutes of sleep. I was in labor close to 18 hours. I had almost 2 hours of pushing to get this first-born son into the world. He was my smallest baby at 7lb 4.5oz. He came out looking just like Jeff. He also sucked on his bottom lip. He would suck on it so hard that if you pulled on it and broke the suction it would make a popping noise.
Ever since Preston was a baby, he has been very active. I remember the dr. noticing and making a comment that he was in constant motion, even in the car seat he was always kicking his legs. Because Preston was an only child for his first two years I was able to really keep an eye on him and redirect his energy (unlike Kaylie who has come the closest to his personality and energy level.)
Preston was an early talker. At his 18 mos. check-up the dr. asked if he was saying 8 - 10 words, and I told her that off of the top of my head he was saying over 40. When Tanner was born he was talking very clearly to the camera, which I now know the rarity of that, especially in a boy.
I have talked about this before, but for Preston's sake I want to share it again. I can see in Preston leadership qualities emerging as he is getting older. He can round up his brothers and sister, and all his friends who are younger to work together or to play together. He is very good at bringing others into the conversation or into whatever they are playing. He also does amazingly well at carrying on a conversations with adults....so well, that I have to put a limit on how many questions can be asked when we are at dinner with others.
Preston is also very creative and resourceful. He has created many things from his own "tools", to a tree swing, to many types of things to play with. He does a lot of this with ropes, rubber bands, wire twisties, to anything he can find around the house. He is a collector of many things like boxes, all shapes and sizes, to baggies, to sticks, to ANYTHING he might use to create something.
Another thing I see in Preston, which I'm not sure is a positive quality more then a negative one, but it is something that is fairly common in firstborns. He is a perfectionist. If he doesn't get something right, he automatically starts putting himself down. He doesn't handle pressure well. If he is timed on anything he freezes up and then he never wants to do what ever he was doing again, for example a math game on the computer. I want my Preston to know that he does not have to be perfect. It is OK to mess up. It is OK not to always have the right answer. We just need to do the best that we can, and let God do the rest. I want Preston to know that in his weakness is where God is the strongest.
I LOVE MY Preston!!! There have been way too many times where I haven't handled things right with him. I have put unneeded pressure on him. I have expected perfection when I shouldn't. I just PRAY that God pours so much grace on him that it washes out all the mistakes that I've made, and that only good comes from it and that there be no open wounds that he will carry on in life because of my faulty, sinful, humanness as his mother.
I pray God's blessings be poured upon Preston this 11th year of his life and for the rest of his life. That he grows up to be a bold, courageous, humble, loving man of God...that he may be known as a man after God's own heart!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to MY 10 year old!
5 comments:
Yay Preston!
He sounds like such a wonderful, kind and caring young man. I love it! What a beautiful tribute to him!
You are a wonderful Mother. We all make mistakes and we all put too much pressure on our kids from time to time. It's ok though-we are Moms and we love and want the best for our kiddos. :) And what we've done or not done-yea, God comes in and makes everything so much better!
Happy Birthday Preston
Happy birthday, Preston. You and Madalynn seem to have a lot in common, both being the first child and all! First children, unite (Miss Jae is a firstborn, too)!
I remember seeing you baptized, Preston. That was such a special day! I also remember you sitting in the pews at church shouting out answers to your dad's sermon questions he posed to the whole congregation. You prayed once for the entire congregation during the church service once, too. I don't know if you remember it, but it was the most profound prayer in response to what your dad had preached about.
You have already touched so many people at such a young age. We pray that God would use you in mighty ways, Preston! We love you!
The Davis Family
Ah, the firstborn! It IS a hard thing to carry, but as I know (being a firstborn myself), God picks the right kids for the job! Happy day to Preston!
Preston -
I love you so much too! You have a special place in my heart. God has a great purpose stamped on your life! I'm honored to be your dad & have you as my son!
Love, Dad
Julie, would you pass this on to the little man?
Preston, I'm so glad you had a good birthday - you deserve to be celebrated. Every word your mom wrote about you is true. You are becoming someone of good character who is a godly leader. God has great things planned for you as long as you let Him lead you.
I have to say, you are the number one reason I miss teaching Sunday School. Your questions are always so deep and so thoughtful, they challenge me to be in the Word more so I can answer you. You are a blessing to your family, your friends, and everyone who knows you. Happy birthday!
Post a Comment