Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Valentine's

For Valentine's day, we really didn't do much of anything. We did our celebration the day before as a family. Jeff and I took our four favorite Valentine's to Chuck-E-Cheese's and then we took them swimming at the rec center. (I'll post some pictures later.)

So yesterday, on Valentine's day, I woke up and made a special, yummy breakfast (Cinnamon Bites). Before we started eating, the kids opened their Valentine's from their grandparents and from Jeff and I. Of course, the grandparents gave each child some money, so when they opened the cards from mom and dad and all there was, was a "love note" they weren't too thrilled. After breakfast, I went back upstairs and crawled back into my bed with full intention of going back to sleep, or at the very least, laying there and reading for some time. I then decided I wanted to go to my favorite Christian book store/ Educational store, Mardel! Mardel has bargain books, and sometimes you can get the best clearances.

I talked to Jeff to see if he wanted to go and I could really tell he didn't, so I then got in the van and headed south on my own. I hooked my MP3 player into our van radio and enjoyed some of my music on the 45 minute drive.

Once I got there, I decided that there really wasn't any books that I wanted to spend my money on, but I did find a great deal on some t-shirts. There was a whole rack full of patriotic and Christian t-shirts for $1.00! I called Jeff to make sure it was OK to get them since there wasn't enough money at the time in our "clothes fund" to get all the shirts I picked out. You know that I have to try to get each kid one of each style! When you find such great deals you have to jump on them right then. So I then walked out with nothing for myself, but 34 t-shirts for my kids!

When I got home, I had five Valentine's waiting for me.

The first one I received was from Landon,


If you look real close you can see that he tucked a dollar in a pocket. Jeff said he came up with that on his own. That was such a sacrifice, because he doesn't get much money and he just received that dollar earlier that day.

Then I received a card from Tanner,


Tanner knows that my favorite color is pink, so he made sure to add my favorite color in my card.

I then received a card from Preston,


In his card, I had to scratch off the black to see my message. (Something he learned in school.)He also put four quarters in a pocket for me.

I then got Kaylie's card,


As you can see, she drew a picture of the family. I then asked her where the sixth person was. She was adamant that everyone was there. So she pointed out Tanner, herself, Preston, Mom and Dad, in random order. I then asked her where Landon was, she searched and then all she did was say, "Oh." and giggled.

I then went down to check my emails, and tucked in the desk by the keyboard was a card from Jeff, with some very sweet words.



So for dinner, I made them, but especially Jeff, a lasagna dinner and a big cookie!

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Ok, the kids cards are so very sweet! How precious. Aren't those the things you'll treasure forever? I love when Tanner makes things for me.

And I have to say-you are the fourth or fifth person to have lasagna for Valentine's Dinner! How funny! We had it too with Mom and Dad, but I have to admit, ours was frozen, not homemade. I just wasn't up to it.

So glad you got away to Mardel's! My Mom LOVES that store. We don't have any here though. :(

Sounds like you had a great weekend!

Love you girl!

Anonymous said...

I love you too Julie! Happy Valentines Day! - Jeff

Jae Davis said...

Hahahahaha! 34 T-Shirts. Julie, I am laughing because that's EXACTLY the type of shopper I am. Not that I buy a lot of stuff, but just that when you find a deal like that, you just can't pass it up. Who can resist themed shirts for the fam?? :)

Jeanie said...

Dave would L-O-V-E that cookie!!