Friday, February 20, 2009

"Reversal of Destiny"

Have you ever shared with someone the impact they've made in your life?

I love to share with those who've made a significant difference in my life. Sometimes they respond back and sometimes they don't, but I want each one of these people to know, that what they have done in Christ's name, has not come back void. I pray that the words I share with them, encourages them and lifts them up to know that they were used by the Almighty!

In my study today with Beth Moore, she talked about a "Reversal of Destiny". That is basically where God picks you up and totally turns you around in a totally different direction. Because of this study, it made me start thinking of where I've seen it in our lives. The clearest picture of it for me, is with Jeff, when he was in college. I've just recently "found" (on Facebook) the vessel that God used to bring this "reversal of destiny" about in Jeff's life. I felt lead to share with him the impact he made. Here is my note to him and his response back. (I did take out his name for his privacy.)


Hello ____,

I realize that we didn't really know each other at MCC, and I'm not even sure if you even know who I am, but I wanted to share something with you. Something so significant, yet you may not even remember it.

Jeff speaks of you often. You are part of his testimony, so every time he shares it (which is at least monthly) he speaks of you. He has always said that he has no idea where you are now, but he shares of a night in Johnson hall.

That night, your guys' freshman year, Jeff was in his room, at his lowest point and ready to drop out of MCC. As he shares, "[he] was like a boulder on a mountain top, and he was either going to go on the side fully for God or he was going to go on the side of Satan." You came up, knocked on his door, and said that God told you "Satan was warring for his soul." and you came to pray with him. Jeff shares that you stayed with him the rest of the night talking and praying for him.

Do you remember that night? It may have seemed like such an insignificant thing, yet it was a "reversal of destiny" for Jeff. (That is something I've just learned in a Beth Moore study.) It was a complete turn around for him. So many people have heard the Gospel of Christ, and have made decisions in their walk because of Jeff's preaching. What are the numbers added to the Kingdom of Christ because Jeff being an instrument used by God? Only God knows! Where would Jeff be and therefore all those who've made decisions, because of Jeff being used by God, be if you wouldn't have heeded the voice of God you heard that night? Only God knows!

I just wanted to share, and I know Jeff wants you to know, the impact you made.

Blessings to you,
Julie

(His response back.)

Wow. You have no idea how MY life has changed since that night. Two years later, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. Three years later, I lost the only girl I've ever loved. Five years later, my dad died and my faith was nearly gone. My spirituality is much different now than it was then. Then, I had the faith of a boy who had not lived a life yet. Now, my faith is battered and scarred, but still standing.

You have no idea how much receiving this note means to me. I've often wondered if my time at MCC was simply a waste. I became very disillusioned with Christianity after my two years there, for reasons I won't go into right now.

Suffice to say, it's been awhile since I heard God's voice as I did the night I spoke with Jeff. I remember that night -- though not as clearly as Jeff does. My faith then was simple and pure, and sometimes I think I'd like to go back there. It's wonderful to know that God used my broken vessel to pull someone like Jeff through such a time. I've often wondered what happened to some of those old Johnson Hall buddies, and it's great to know how well things have turned out for Jeff. Please give him my warmest regards, and let him know I would love to talk to him some time. ...

Best,
____


I am praying for this man, who was used by God in a huge way in Jeff's life, that he will come back to that faith he once had. I do believe that was what Christ was talking about when he said, "to have faith like a child." That we can push "life" aside and have total trust in Him!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for him too. I'm hoping I can be the encouragement for him now, that he was back then for me.

Thank you God for sending Your chosen person at Your chosen time. May I hear Your voice as clearly as he did & be as obedient as he was. Your son - Jeff.

Anonymous said...

God is good...All the time!

Shelly said...

This post gave me goose bumps.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What blessing you are, Julie! I will also be praying for this brother, that he will hear the voice of the Lord, turning his life back to Him and seeking His face again. I'm so encouraged by this story, and by your faithfulness to share what the Lord has done. It's our testimonies of His faithfulness that urge one another to love and godliness.
Love you guys!!!!
~Missie Ray G