Happy Birthday Tammy!
Here is a story that Theresa and I get a good laugh from every time we bring it up, or hear this old hymn.
Theresa can't even sing this song anymore without having a fit of giggles,
which isn't always a good thing in church.
A couple of years ago, when this song was being sang in a church service,
Tammy leaned over and shared what she always thought the words were.
In the "chorus" you can see that it speaks how Jesus:
"sought me and bought me,
with his redeeming blood."
Well, Tammy as a child, and maybe even into early adulthood (I'm not sure on that)
believed that part of the chorus went like this:
"He socked me and bopped me,
with his redeeming love."
Yes, those terms refer to some type of hitting,
but to Tammy they made sense.
We were always told as children,
when we were about ready to be spanked,
that "I'm doing this because I love you."
Why wouldn't Jesus do the same thing?
Tam, this is dedicated to you on your 33rd birthday!
This man took liberties in changing some words, but you can still enjoy it!
Victory in Jesus
by E.M. Bartlett
I heard an old, old story,
How a Savior came from glory,
How He gave His life on Calvary
To save a wretch like me;
I heard about His groaning,
Of His precious blood's atoning,
Then I repented of my sins
And won the victory.
Chorus
O victory in Jesus,
My Savior, forever.
He sought me and bought me
With His redeeming blood;
He loved me ere I knew Him
And all my love is due Him,
He plunged me to victory,
Beneath the cleansing flood.
I heard about His healing,
Of His cleansing pow'r revealing.
How He made the lame to walk again
And caused the blind to see;
And then I cried, "Dear Jesus,
Come and heal my broken spirit,"
And somehow Jesus came and bro't
To me the victory.
Chorus
O victory in Jesus,
My Savior, forever.
He sought me and bought me
With His redeeming blood;
He loved me ere I knew Him
And all my love is due Him,
He plunged me to victory,
Beneath the cleansing flood.
I heard about a mansion
He has built for me in glory.
And I heard about the streets of gold
Beyond the crystal sea;
About the angels singing,
And the old redemption story,
And some sweet day I'll sing up there
The song of victory.
Chorus
O victory in Jesus,
My Savior, forever.
He sought me and bought me
With His redeeming blood;
He loved me ere I knew Him
And all my love is due Him,
He plunged me to victory,
Beneath the cleansing flood.
3 comments:
Thanks Julie! I actually still giggle about it myself. And yes, it was into my early adult years. I'll never forget seeing the words on an overhead screen and realizing I've been singing it wrong my whole life!
That's awesome!
Happy Birthday Tammy!!!
When we lived in Wichita and I would pick Heather up from South, I would listen to Elizabeth Elliot on the radio. She was into her adult years before she learned the real words to "Bringing in the sheaves" she always thought it was "bringing in the sheets" and referred to hanging laundered sheets on the clothes line!! So Tammy is in very good company!!
Post a Comment